Getting it right for every child and young person is a national policy to help all children and young people grow, develop and reach their full potential.   Its focus is to improve outcomes for children and their families based on a shared understanding of their wellbeing.

GIRFEC details the legislative entitlement that all children in Scotland should be:

  • Safe
  • Healthy
  • Achieving
  • Nurtured
  • Active
  • Respected
  • Responsible
  • Included

These 8 wellbeing indicators are for all children, and sometimes, in order to achieve this, we work with other services to provide the right support at the right time.

GIRFEC isn’t an extra thing schools or people have to do. It’s a way for those who support children to work together, making sure they are all on the same page. Where needed, GIRFEC links day-to-day work in education, health, policing, social work and the voluntary sector – in fact any public or voluntary organisation whose staff come into contact with children. It makes it easier for those different organisations to communicate consistently with each other, and with children and young people.

What is the Named Person?

Every child in Scotland will have a Named Person.  Prior to Primary 1, the named person will be a health visitor. At Meiklemill School, for P1-P7 pupils, the named person will be the Headteacher.

The named person will be responsible for ensuring children access their entitlement of all 8 wellbeing indicators as displayed on the GIRFEC wheel. Furthermore, the named person will act as a single point of contact for children and families where it is deemed necessary to work with other agencies to best meet the needs of a child.

For example, if you as a parent had concerns about your child’s speech and you wanted to seek input from an NHS Speech and Language Therapist, your named person would be the gateway to this support.  Similarly, your child’s named person can access the support of other agencies where he / she, or the professionals working with your child are of the opinion that support from another agency is necessary in order to meet pupil needs. We would always consult you and work with you through this process.

What kind of support might we access from other agencies?

  • Speech and Language Therapist
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Forresterhill Hospital Pediatric Nurses
  • NHS Child and Family Mental Health Services
  • Sensory Support Services
  • Pupil Support Workers
  • Social Work
  • School Doctor
  • School Nurse
  • Young Carers
  • English as an Additional Language
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Phyisotherapy
  • Police Scotland

(This is to name but a few)

It is important to note your named person is not the only way you can access support.  You can also visit your GP and indeed self refer to relevant services.

In our school reception, you can find display boards giving you more information about the services we work with to meet the needs of our pupils.  In the meantime, I wanted to make you aware of the following website:


All of the information regarding GIRFEC for Aberdeenshire Council Schools can be found here and there is a useful “Parent’ and Carers” section giving full information on what GIRFEC means for you and your child.

I trust you find this information helpful and should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan Cordiner